Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 25 - Illinois, Indiana, Ohio


After trying to outrun the outrageous thunderstorms that had been beating up the Midwest, I finally found some peace in Illinois. Pushing myself harder than ever, I caught up to Eastern Standard Time after crossing the Mississippi river again, though under different circumstances.

The only interesting thing my experience in Indiana yielded was that as I tried to exit the toll road in South Bend to find a restroom, I accidentally ended up in Michigan for about 30 seconds. That was a pleasant surprise considering my American roots lie there.

Driving through the country roads in Ohio was brutal, but I was determined to make it to my friend David's house. I thought I could get there by 8 p.m. but I didn't stroll in till 11. And I was beat.

Thankfully, he had a delicious dinner of meat and meat ready for me. Pork tenderloin and Kielbasa. Holy thunder. We then took to the basement bar to catch up and I drank way too much whiskey and Canadian beer, in a throwback to our partying moments that spanned the globe. You see, we met in Rome, and he has been to VA to visit me, and I had not only seen him in Ohio, but we made a trip to Canada with our friend Tom to visit our friend Pedro. Labatt Blue is our soundtrack.

Of course we toasted vodka before we got started, so when I woke up the next morning to my 9 hour drive and his two boisterous kids (who were present out of the three available) I was not feeling great. Nonetheless, it was awesome to hang out and catch up, and see his children firsthand.

One last push and I would be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment