Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 11 - Kansas


I drove into Kansas wondering if I'd come across any tornados, but instead I was swept away in a completely different way. I expected Kansas to be boring and redundant in its landscape, but I was pleasantly taken aback by its awe-inspiring natural beauty.

The grassy plains turned into swaying wheat and corn fields, and then to rolling emerald hills I only expected to see in Ireland. The shallow, flat land began to dip into cascading valleys, creating a recurring slope ahead into the horizon. The road became a dividing path between bright green stoic ramparts. The turbines rose into the sky like beacons of a new day, channeling the wind in perfect unison like soldiers marching to battle in slow motion. With the robust clouds frozen above like a lithograph, the horizon seemed to beckon straight into heaven.

I had a profound connection with the land of Kansas, and driving along its passing staples was both exciting and rewarding spiritually. I drove for 12 hours and it seemed like a joyride. No fatigue, no restlessness, no boredom. I stopped in no cities, just in small farm towns, and took amazing photographs. It was an entire day perfect for looking within and finding myself anew, with the most spectacular natural backdrop providing the context.

Kansas was a metaphor for this entire trip: finding beauty in unlikely places; finding wisdom in simplicity; finding adventure in your proverbial backyard; finding freedom among constant; finding completion within.





No comments:

Post a Comment