Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 16 - Grand Canyon


Well, the moment has finally arrived. The Grand Canyon was my grand prize. And there really aren't words to describe it, so I'll keep this one short on words and heavy on pictures.

I spent all day there, eating and drinking like a horse, taking as many pictures as humanly possible. It was slightly overcast and it rained in patches, but I still was able to get some spectacular views. I came in from the South Rim, and went all the way east to Desert View, taking pictures all along the way.

One point of interest was the Tusayan Ruins, which weren't much to look at, but full of history about the forgotten community that once inhabited them. There were lots of snakes(!) which I avoided but also a thornbush called the crucifixion thorn. The park is at the same latitude as Biblical Jerusalem, thus with apparently a similar climate, and this thornbush that grows in the park is believed to be the same kind of bush that lent itself to Christ's crown of thorns. Intriguing.

The Grand Canyon is breathtaking. At one unnamed lookout, a few minutes east of Grandview Point, the view was so incredible, so magnetic, that in my inability to walk away, I felt an urge to jump out into the canyon. Not because I felt I had no more living to do, but because the scene was so divine, I literally felt like I could fly.

Photographs










1 comment:

  1. Gotta say buddai, you're winning in the biggest way! I'm loving this legendary saga of true CGM. With the 3-0 lingering in a fortnight plus a few, all these amazing pics and great tales of adventure and meat-eating make the story all the better. While I'm sitting here in AV with a deep-dish mashed-potato pizza from the deep freeze, you're out there counquering it all. Well Done! Dukes, Grottoes, Cooter's, Ribs, Wheat, Sand, Peaks, and a Canyon.
    Don't Stop Believin'!

    pizza's got bacon

    -Tex

    ReplyDelete