Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day One - Shenandoah Valley, VA

Today, I took off for my trip, finally. I had gotten a late start trying to get everything ready for the trip and making sure I tied up all loose ends before taking off. For example, I had to buy a new camera (thanks to all my people in the marketing department for that wonderful gift!) and pay all my bills!

Last week, I was in Scottsdale, AZ for the first time. My friend Son's bachelor party. I'm the best man. It was a great time. The weather was gorgeous--hot and sunny. We did some hiking, hung out at the pool and hot tub, ate at some fantastic restaurants, and of course, partied like lunatics. Son's goal was to get thrown out of a club, and I made good by getting tossed out of the Martini Ranch for trying to take my beer outside the bar and come back in. Sounds tame, but in my world that meant hopping over the mini-wall on the patio, then trying to re-enter, and being caught midway by a bouncer.

We had some incredible steak out there, both at Donovan's Steakhouse and the world-famous Saddle Ranch Chop House! Not only is this a place a staple for reality TV dating shows, but they have towers of draft beer that you can pour at your table, and most importantly, mechanical bulls! Now we have made our mark as well. We all rode the bull, and we all got booted off. And it hurt. Son had the most awesome dismount ever. If you're on facebook, you can check it out here.


Back to the present, I knew I had to kick this trip off the right way, so before I really left the gate, I made a stop at Sweet Water Tavern in Centreville. I called up with my friend Jennifer to rap about the trip and have a toast. The weather was amazing, and we sat out on the patio. We hadn't seen each other in a few months, so this was a nice way to set things off. We discussed the build-up and pressure all the talk about the trip created, and how it didn't matter, that I should just enjoy it, and whatever happens, happens.

Then I was off! I took Route 29 south on my way to the valley. On my way, I passed Bull Run Park and Manassas Battlefield. Those were two places, the former especially, where my father used to take our family for Sunday afternoon walks and barbeques. Every week, we would pack up the car with food and blankets and head out to a picnic area. During the summer, we would go swimming, and otherwise we would take walks and play soccer or basketball, and then cook out. It was such a wonderful way to end the weekend and kick off the new week.

My most vivid memory of the battlefield, however, was stepping on a garden snake! I was on a walk with my family, and I had raced ahead of them, probably chasing my brother or vice versa, and I was trotting through some high grass and stepped on something green that hissed and shook around my foot. I screamed and took off running as fast as I could. I'm deathly afraid of snakes, and this was my worst nightmare, next to it actually lunging at me and biting me.

I continued down the road into Gainesville and then took Route 211 in the country out into the mountains. I stopped and took some pictures of the mountains and the sunset, and drove through the winding hills of the Shenandoah Valley National Park and the quaint town of Luray.

I stopped for the night at my old stomping grounds--James Madison University in Harrisonburg. Took some night pictures of the majestic quad after sneaking into the barricaded areas in development. Stayed in a hotel and got set up--walking around campus and more photos awaited.

This trip is exactly what I needed. Driving as the sun sets with the woods and hills in the horizon is exhilarating. It was both exciting and extremely soothing. I felt a deep calm as I drove through the winding roads--I could actually notice each peaceful breath. Not a hint of any anxiety or tension. Everything was right in the world and made sense.







No comments:

Post a Comment