Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 7 - Great Smoky Mountains


The wildest part of Tennessee was my next stop. I had aspirations of doing things I've never done before. No better place for it, especially if you are short on ideas.

Sevierville is home of the Great Smoky Mountains Visitor Center, and the first stop along the eastern route up into the heavens. I stopped here for a map and some information, and then excitedly took off for Pigeon Forge. Do you ever mistake the name or identity of a famous person or place or event and then feel stupid when the light is dawned? This was my situation involving Gatlinburg. Although it too is somewhat of a entertainment attraction capital, it isn't quite as extensive or activity-filled as Pigeon Forge. Also, it is truly a mountain town, carved into the side of the mountain. It seems like a cartoon version of a ski community.

All the rides, simulators, and even Dollywood are in Pigeon Forge. As i drove down the strip delighted, I realized the first stop had to be as awesome as it would be unique. Oh yeah, riding in a monster truck. Check!

I drove to the dusty lot of Outdoor Adventures, past the helicopter and truck with giant wheels, and signed up immediately. There was a staircase leading to the back of the pickup. It looked kind of like a hayride, except five times as high and with inexplicable horsepower. We were strapped to the bench in the bed by a makeshift seat belt, like the ones on airplanes, except definitely much more worn. The course was tight and included sharp curves, and there were two hills: one larger one made of dirt, and the smaller one gravel.

The engine growled to life like a dinosaur taking its first breath, unhappy to be alive, and smoke coughed out of the exhaust. We took off faster than you could imagine a 20-foot high vehicle capable, and were off for ten laps of terror. It was incredible. I soon realized it was much like a roller coaster, except half as scary and twice as dangerous. If we hit one of the hills too fast and the truck flipped, the driver would be fine in his cage, but we would be smushed.

Next stop was the Old Mill District, an old-fashioned gristmill village from the 1800s. Shops in the community included a pottery shop, a farmhouse kitchen where you could buy dry and canned goods, a creamery, and two restaurants. The main mill was converted into a giant restaurant. There was also a giant field for sports leading to the foot of the mountain. A trolley drove visitors through the village. I took lots of great pics, bought some preserves, and ate some delicious ice cream.

I also got yelled at by a woman in an old-timey dress for taking pictures inside the pantry. She "didn't take kindly" to it. Apparently, it would be a problem if I sold them; she had read about a guy taking pictures of antique items, framing the pictures and selling them on eBay for huge profits. I didn't even knew what that meant or where the problem was, and neither did she. Those pics are absolutely going online, maybe even on eBay just to spite her, haha.

After some amazing pictures, I realized it was getting very late and the sun had set. It was too late to experience my next stops: Dollywood, Cooter's Garage, and the indoor hang gliding place. I drove to Dollywood just to see it and snap a picture, and then took off for Gatlinburg. I walked by Cooter's Garage and took some pictures, then got a really late dinner at Corky's BBQ, which so far, in my unique opinion, is the best barbequed pork in Tennessee, despite it being a chain. It was all for the best that i left, because as it was Monday night, about 9:30 the main strip cleared out. Everything was closed. I seriously considered staying the night there, but then this would turn into a cross-Tennessee trip and nothing more.

Speaking of which, just as this started out as a reunion of friends tour, it quickly evolved into a race across America to get to California in time to make my deadline. Incidentally, I was trying to avoid this, and so I stopped visiting friends and spending days at a time with them so I could see enough of the country. Here I am rushing anyway. Oh well, it is an adventure. Off to Nashville in search of ribs.

Feel free to leave a comment and say hello! And definitely check out my photo album to see the rest of the pics; there are some really good ones here.

No comments:

Post a Comment